Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Life is catching up with me

The past week or two has not been easy.  Nothing too drastic or life threatening, but hard for me nonetheless.  During times like these life seems to have a way of reminding me of things that I'd forgotten or given up.  I've been in a sad mood lately, which changed my focus to things I've lost or given away.  I will admit I am a modest, private person, prone to frustration as much as anyone else.  But today I was reminded doubly so to keep making art to be a happier person.  Seems to be a more positive attitude to take than spending a week unhappy.

I would like to post here some comments from an interview of my good friend Mike Curato, a fantastic artist and friend who is the feature of next month's edition of Organs of Vision and Speech, a poetry and art journal I do the layout for.  He is exceptional not only in personality, but in attitude and perspective.  Below are some excerpts from the interview being published next month.

What advice do you have for artists?

Keep creating, even when you think you suck and the future looks doomed. I've done myself a great disservice in the past by running away from my art, and I'll never get that time back. I think I was scared to be vulnerable, that people would find fault in my craft or not care about what I had to say. Ultimately, your art is for you, and by allowing yourself the expression you deserve, you live a fuller, more honest life.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve been given?

Woah, I need to pick a winner? No pressure! I can't say if this is the all-time best piece of advice I've been given, but it's relevant to this article: Be good to yourself. Artists have a bad habit of beating the crap out of themselves for not being constantly brilliant (well, I do anyway). It's really important to remember that you're human and therefore you have to fail. It's inevitable, and necessary. Failing is growing (as long as you get back up, otherwise you're just failing). 

I feel like I'm finally starting to find my brain.  Here is what I worked out today.  I feel more grounded somehow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment