Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Plodding along these past few months

I am beginning to realize how my new schedule is starting to catch up with me. Since last August I've been working two jobs which, many weeks, leaves me without a full day off. I am still able to fit a lot in there; spending time with friends, dodge-ball league once a week, reading a book or two and the occasional movie night. What it does not leave me is much time for creativity or hiking that were staples of mine throughout the tenure of my last job up north. Due to a series of interactions with close people in my life I have been questioning the benefits of my current lifestyle. My mother is pushing me to make another cross country trip (and if you don't know already, you don't have to push all that hard to get this girl packed up and on a random interstate a three-day's-drive away). My boss suggests that if you aren't spending time working for yourself, you are wasting your time (an interesting and valid argument I think). Which leads me to the realization that the creative efforts I have put in during my off time the past two months have been purely to design promotional materials for several projects that are not even mine (I am proud of the results, some of which are posted on this blog, but none of which were initiated by me).

Next week I am taking five days off of both jobs to go to Boston. This will be a working vacation - so I guess it is not a vacation at all... We are taking our journal OVS to AWP (the Association of Writers & Writing Programs) once again. This will be our third year, which I think is pretty exciting. But once this is over, I will be able to get back to using free time to work for myself again. I've not made a painting in months, and I think that is starting to weigh on me. So in preparation for this, I have been trying to make a colorful doodle once a day on large scrap paper to get "back in shape." I'm posting them here because they're fun.

I hope this finds you well and that you're up to something fun yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment